The National Curriculum for music aims to ensure that all pupils:
- Perform, listen to, review and evaluate music
- Be taught to sing, create and compose music
- Understand and explore how music is created, produced and communicated.
At Sowe Valley Primary School, it is our intent that we make music an enjoyable learning experience. We encourage children to participate in a variety of musical experiences through which we aim to build up the confidence of all children. At Sowe Valley Primary School the intention is that children gain a firm understanding of what music is through listening, singing, playing, evaluating, analysing, and composing across a wide variety of historical periods, styles, traditions, and musical genres. Our objective at Sowe Valley Primary School is to develop a curiosity for the subject, as well as an understanding and acceptance of the validity and importance of all types of music, and an unbiased respect for the role that music may wish to be expressed in any person’s life. We are committed to ensuring children understand the value and importance of music in the wider community, and are able to use their musical skills, knowledge, and experiences to involve themselves in music, in a variety of different contexts.
- Every child will have the opportunity to learn to play an instrument
- Every child will have the opportunity to learn to play an instrument in further depth through peripatetic music lesson offered at the school
- Every child will perform to an audience in events at school regularly e.g. Christmas productions, End of Year productions, Class Assemblies
- Every child will hear live music performances.
Every child will have the opportunity to perform with live musicians at an outside event e.g. Young Voices.